Keeping A Journal

"Here's a journal for you to write down your thoughts and feelings as you're about to become a dad...  One day, you'll be able to look back at your writings and see what you were thinking and feeling back then..."
Those were the words of wisdom from my mom over a year ago as she handed me a leather journal to document everything I was thinking and feeling a few days before my son's due date.  At the time, I thought that was a fantastic idea and I had strongly considered following her advice.  And then my son was born.

Being a father has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, but it's also a TON of responsibility and a lot of work.  I had the intention of keeping a journal after hearing my mom's advice, but the many sleepless nights from constantly having to wake up every 1.5 to 2 hours was just plain EXHAUSTING.  The constant diaper changes and the frequent feedings while working full time and maintaining the home left little time for anything else, especially writing a journal.

It's been over a year now since my son was born, and as I look back at old photos and videos, it always warms my heart.  I have always loved children, but let me tell you... if you love kids, having your own children takes it to a whole other level.  It takes you to a whole new depth.  It's the greatest feeling in the world.  The intensity of love you have for your own child cannot be put into words; you just have to experience it yourself.  But to be honest, some of the feelings and thoughts I had felt many months ago are already starting to blur.

Thus, the idea of keeping a journal came to the forefront of my mind again.  Looking back, it would have been nice to document everything I was thinking and feeling from the very first day my son was born.  So if there are any soon-to-be-parents out there reading this, I would highly encourage you to keep a diary or journal to record all your thoughts and feelings from the moment your child is born.  The only problem for me is, I can't see myself finding the time to write a journal by hand.  And so this blog was born.

I plan to use this blog to write down my thoughts, feelings, adventures, and whatever else might come to my mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Big

New Minivan!

If I Was The Pastor At The Church I Attend